Chateau Marlborough - your luxury Marlborough accommodation- strives to protect the beautiful environment in which we live...
• Continual monitoring and recording of energy consumption on a monthly basis any abnormal consumption is discussed with our supplier
• Conduct an energy audit to check current consumption patterns and where any improvements could be made, discuss with our sustainable development team
• Staff are fully trained in energy saving practices ( turning off lights and equipment as necessary).
• Energy efficient bulbs used in all areas
• Double Glazing in new suites
• Hot water cylinders set to 55 degrees
• Dimmers used in suites
• Air conditioning systems maintained to ensure efficient use
• Energy efficient appliances used
• Hot water cylinders and pipes insulated
• Suits are insulated to reduce heat loss
• Lighting in public and outdoor areas on timers and sensors
• Good use of Natural Lighting throughout the property
• Extractor fans on timers
• Guest Laundry washing machines are set for cold water only
• Sleep mode is installed on all computers along with LCD screen monitors.
• All computers and equipment in offices are switched off when not in use
• Swimming Pool Pump on timer
• Guests given the option to not have room serviced and towels changed daily.
• Staff are encouraged to walk , cycle or car pool to work
• Full Recycling System in Place – Glass, Cardboard, Tins, Aluminum, Paper and Plastic
• Recycling bins provided in all suites
• Bulk ordering done in all departments to avoid excess packaging.
• Cooking Oil from Kitchen recycled for Bio Fuel
• Herbs and veggies grown on site
• Staff encouraged to reuse plastic bags then recycled
• Recycling of Printer Toners
• Limited Printing of emails, reservations and general paperwork
• Recycled Paper used for note paper and orders in the restaurant
• Single Hand Towels used in public toilets
• Garden waste is transported to a local farm for mulching
• Kitchen Scraps collected weekly by local farmer for feeding to stock
• Used soap sent back to supplier for recycling
• Pool Chlorine containers refilled
• Plastic Mini Bar Wines supplied by our local sustainable winery - Yealands Estate
• Eco friendly cleaning products used to a minimum
• Biodegradable Takeaway Coffee Cups
• Biodegradable Rubbish Bags
• Biodegradable takeaway meal packaging
• One shot Laundry Detergent used in Guest Laundry
• Continual monitoring and recording of water consumption on a monthly basis, any abnormal consumption is discussed with our Sustainable Development Team
• Dual flush systems on toilets in new suites
• Maintenance Manager checks for leaks in taps, toilets, valves and pipework on a weekly basis
• Water features recycle their own water
• Shower water restrictors installed
• Limited water used in cleaning all windows
• We have a guest towel agreement in all suites
• Garden watering is on timers
• Mulch used on gardens to reduce the amount of water needed.
• Automatic shut off spray nozzles used for the washing down of buses to ensure the conservation of water and minimise waste
• Watering system only turned on timer in Summer Months.
• Low Flow Shower Heads
• Water efficient Appliances used where possible ie dishwashers and washing machine.
• We have formed a relationship with the Department of Conservation with an annual commitment by staff to participate in restoration activities in the area
• A native area has been planted at Chateau Marlborough to support our local native bird life
• Marlborough Falcon Trust.
• Major sponsorship of the Community Civic Trust Performing Arts Centre
• Sponsorship of the Tasman Makos Rugby Team
• Prizes donated to Local Radio Station for Promotions
• Vouchers donated to local schools for fundraising
• Cancer society donations
• Local Artwork displayed throughout
• Offering employment to local residents where possible
• Staff are offered career development through local training providers
• Commitment from staff to follow all environmental initiatives in place
• We aim to purchase products from local suppliers wherever possible
• We support local business by promoting their attractions and activities through reception
• Involvement with the Sustainable Business Practice Group
• Monies saved from the above initiatives enables us to donate and sponsor local non profit organizations
• Dedicated Sustainable Tourism Webpage on our website
Our Sustainable Tourism Team is actively working towards new initiatives, if you wish to comment on our current initiatives or have new ideas please notify our reception staff on your departure.
We hope you leave the Chateau Marlborough knowing your support helps us maintain the lovely environment we live in.
Click here to read our Responsible Tourism Statement.
Click here to read our Enviro Advocacy Statement.
Click here to read our Environmental initiatives